Blog Post
Author Showcase – Metal_Snake30. June 2009 21:08
Posted By: View User Profile Januy Permalink | Comments (5)

Welcome to the Author Showcase, a project founded by Natzke on Trackmania Nations Exchange. We already made a lot of Interviews, with famous users like Ron Turbo, Panis and GanjaRider, but also normal TMX users like Quat or SeaDevil! We have gotten a lot of positive reactions to it. And we now got the great news that we can publish our Interviews on TMX Blog! We hope you enjoy it!

=¤=

Welcome back dear readers, for our 21st interview! Last time we had promised you a smashing interview, so here it goes. Of course you know him, this visionary and helpful guy. You will now travel through France, and visit:

Metal_Snake!

1 Please tell us more about yourself (birthday, real name, place of birth, height, weight, favourite colour...) and your background?

Okay, my real name is Antoine (a pure French name!), I'm 18 years old and turning 19 very soon (3rd of august). I'm not really tall, 1.70, just in the average. I'm living in the north of France, in a beautiful town named Lille. I'm currently studying English at university (as if I'm probably making a lot of English mistakes while writing that and sorry for all the mistakes you'll read, I've never been a perfect student!). [Sorry, I don’t see any! – Baston]

2 What made you become a track builder and who was the biggest influence at your beginning?

I started to play with the editor quiet late after discovering that wonderful game that Trackmania is. And at the very beginning, I must say I was building some crappy tracks, but anyways I always had fun with the editor, I instantly loved its simplicity and efficiency at the same time. I have always been influenced by every track I could drive, not by a precise author...But for example I was inspired by some smooth tracks by Defacer for my Fullspeeders, by the minis of Hitch for mine, and by the legend D@rk@nge who made me love PF tracks, and made me love building them. What made me a track builder was the fun i had with building tracks...and not the fact that I was receiving a quite nice amount of awards, since actually it took me a big while to become " famous " ( I hate using that word for talking about myself ). I just always had fun with the editor, and kept playing with it as if people didn't enjoy my tracks, and that's why I continued building and finally improved more and more my creations.

More...

Categories: Author Showcase Tags:
Blog Post
Throwing a bone for underrated authors27. June 2009 22:18
Posted By: View User Profile Jozii Permalink | Comments (18)

In the spirit of highlighting unknown authors and underrated tracks, here’s a chance to get your – or someone else’s – underrated track noticed!

Simply submit a track by leaving a comment below with a link to the track and a short text about why you think it deserves more awards. The track mustn’t be new and it shouldn’t have more than 10 awards already. Deadline: 1st of July (only four days!)

One submitted track will then be selected and highlighted here in the blog next week. A small favor for underrated tracks as a whole, but a bigger one for that one lucky track specifically, and I for one would like to think that that’s still quite a big deal.

So go on, don’t be shy. If you know of or find an underrated track, don’t miss this opportunity to get it noticed Wink

Categories: Tracks Tags:
Blog Post
Treasure Hunt – The Results25. June 2009 17:57
Posted By: View User Profile Jozii Permalink | Comments (3)

X-Rated and TM Creative started a project a few months ago with the purpose to find long forgotten unawarded but great tracks in the depths of TMX. Now, the results of this project are here! Article written by Dutchman.

First a short briefing for those who (against all odds) haven't taken any notice of this great event: The recent discussion about tracks brought up at TMX, the TMX-blog, the Tmaniacs-blog and various forums inspired me to call the community for a treasure hunt into the wastelands of TMX. Players claim little alternation in trackstyles on servers while there are a lot of excellent, but underrated tracks and fresh but unknown authors at TMX. I took myself to the test and picked 20 unawarded old tracks from TMX. After less than two hours I was not surprised to find 3 tracks that would do well on a server. Conclusion: There have to be a lot of excellent tracks lost in the wastelands of TMX - you only have to go out and find them.

But it would be a lifetime job for a single person - and so the idea for the treasure hunt was born. By selecting tracks from a single environment sorted by awards, descending and oldest first, i got lists of unawarded tracks and declared a single page with 20 tracks as a claim to be scanned by a contender.

More...

Categories: Tracks Tags:
Blog Post
Author Showcase - vgr23. June 2009 21:39
Posted By: View User Profile Januy Permalink | Comments (7)

=¤=

Welcome back readers, to the best blog in the world (if we may say so)! You had a nice week so far? Well it’s only going to get better because here is the new interview! We know you have been waiting for it. This time a shortly named guy from the north, you probably know him from his awesome screenshots and cool tracks (tmnfx). Enjoy:

vgr!

1 Please tell us more about yourself (birthday, real name, place of birth, height, weight, favourite colour) and your background?
Hello there!
¤ My name is Vegard Arvid Steinnes, born 22.09.1992 and was born and live in Kristiansand. And that's the most beautiful city in Norway. True story.
¤ I can't remember my height, but last time I checked I was around 170-180cm, I weigh around 55 kilos and I know that's not a lot. But I have never cared about that. Got more important things to care about.
My favourite colour is blue.
¤ I live with my family. Mom, dad and 2 sisters. I got 1 more sister, but she doesn't live here anymore. I went to...euhm...what do you call it...electrician school or whatever. It definitely wasn't the thing for me, so I quit and now I work on a convenience store called **** [hey hey, no commercials here – Januy]. After the summer holidays I'm going to a new school where they teach about media stuff and design. Will increase my Photoshop skills!

2 What made you become a track builder and who made the biggest influence on your building style in the beginning?
What made me become a track builder? I actually can't remember any particular reason, but I guess I just tried it and liked it! =D
I never had any big influences, but if I have to pick out someone it has to be Swensen for his great minis and Defacer's smooth tracks from Nations.

More...

Categories: Author Showcase Tags:
Blog Post
Rest in Peace, Denise21. June 2009 00:08
Posted By: View User Profile Jozii Permalink | Comments (8)

Two posts only hours apart, but for good reason.

I just noticed that on TMX Nations, a track titled R.I.P Denise was showcased only hours ago. And I wanted to spread this to the United players as well, because it’s a real special one.

As the name hints, the TMX member Star Productions, a young woman known in real life under the name of Denise, passed away earlier this year. The showcased track was later found by some of Denise’s friends who, despite their lack of knowledge in TrackMania, decided to finish and release it. According to them, it was the last project Denise was working on. And they wanted to finish it and make it available to the community as a way to show their respect.

Denise released 21 tracks on the Nations exchange during her active time with the community. This one, her 22nd, is already her most valued one.

So regardless if you’re a Nations or United player, go give the last track of Star Productions a go. And regardless of whether you actually like it or not, take some time to leave an award or comment to pay your respect.

Let’s show Denise’s friends what a great community this is. And above all, let’s stop for a moment to remember the people who are close to us, the meaning of friends and family, and the young woman named Denise who in many ways once was – and still is – a part of our community.

R.I.P Denise.

Categories: General Tags:
Blog Post
If I worked at Nadeo…20. June 2009 19:42
Posted By: View User Profile Jozii Permalink | Comments (23)

We’ve all got our wishes, suspicions, thoughts and hopes regarding the next move Nadeo, the creators of TrackMania, will make, especially in regards of the TM franchise. A new environment, a next add-on or an entirely new TrackMania? A new game all together or simply a new kind of block? There are a lot of possibilities.

Now, I’d like to get your imagination going by asking you to complete the sentence “If I worked at Nadeo, I would…” in a comment below. You may be funny or completely serious, express a hope/wish or an actual fact regarding where Nadeo is going in the future.

So, what would you do if you worked at Nadeo? Cool

Categories: Nadeo Tags:
Blog Post
Record-breaking MTC17. June 2009 11:44
Posted By: View User Profile Jozii Permalink | Comments (16)

As already posted in the front page news on the United exchange, this month’s MTC – Monthly Track Contest – has become larger than ever before. And now the contest is officially closed, so we have a final track count: 139 entries.

The MTC has existed for several years already across multiple TMX sites (the first being the old TMX Nations site, before Forever was released), but the previous record was only around 60 entries – less than half of what we have this month! Except a long judging period this time Tongue out

The reason for this new record, however, might be quite simple: an easy and unusually liked theme. The objective was to build tracks no longer than 15 seconds long – on any environment and of any type. No other limitations.

But still, the fact that 139 people pulled together and submitted a track is quite interesting. Who says the TM community is getting smaller?

To celebrate the record-breaking MTC, we’ve got more prizes to hand out than usual. Here’s what the 139 people who prticipated in the Unted MTC are competing for:

• Overall winner: A showcase and a mug or teddy bear from the TMX Shop.
  • Top scoring in each environment: A mug or teddy bear.
  • Three random participants: 5000 coppers each.

On the Nations Forever exchange, where the MTC has only existed for a few months, we saw quite a good user participation rate too. We reached 40 entries this month, and that on a theme which was perceived as quite challenging (bouncing five times on water).

In July, the MTC will take a break on both sites. But we’ll be back again in August, and I hope to see you all enter the contest once again when that time comes. In the mean time, feel free to suggest new themes in the Suggestions threads (United and NationsWink

Categories: TMX Tags:
Blog Post
Author Showcase – HardDance16. June 2009 22:01
Posted By: View User Profile Januy Permalink | Comments (8)

=¤=

Hey there readers! Here’s the new interview, very fresh because it’s made just an hour ago! Of course you all know this guy (at least all TMNFX users should), moderator and famous builder, here we present to you:

HardDance!

My name is Magnus Næss, born 17.07.91 in Tønsberg, a couple of miles from where I live now. I’m 179cm high and weigh about 65 kg and my favourite color is blue, blue like Vål'enga :) I live with my mom and dad and my two brother. Ohh, and one cat, soon 4-5 cats :P

2 What made you become an track builder and who make biggest influence at your beginning?
I started building when I got tired of online playing, I didn’t do anything else then racing online the first year I played tm. And got, of course, tired of it. When I started building I just placed some blocks and didn’t try to copy any other guys, but after some moths with building I started to race on Heavens Door with fishy and the rest of the gang, loved his tracks and still do. So I guess fishy is the man in this question. But I also have to mention Gianco's speed tracks.

More...

Categories: Author Showcase Tags:
Blog Post
The Beta Area Experience13. June 2009 18:37
Posted By: View User Profile Jozii Permalink | Comments (4)

Our wonderful Beta Area (United version and Nations version) is a place I’ve hardly ever visited – until now! And even though I’ve always thought the idea to be decent, it wasn’t until now I realized its potential.

For those of you who don’t know, the idea is that you upload an unfinished track that you’re working on and start a forum topic. Others can then download the beta track and leave feedback in the forum thread. My original thought was that you can just ask a friend to beta test, but what if you don’t know a suitable person, or they say no? And even if you do, it turns out that there are some other nice ups to using the Beta Area.

First on the positive side, and most obvious, is the fact that you get feedback for your track. Potentially from several people with several different preferences and viewpoints. When I tried the area, I uploaded a track and started a topic (if you really want feedback, starting a topic is necessary – it’s not enough just to upload a track), and it didn’t take long at all until I had a response from someone who had tried the track and had comments on it.

Most active TMX users have already made friends on the site, and many ask others in person to beta test their tracks. However, this should not mean they shouldn’t use the Beta Area too. It’s likely that a third person will enter the picture and give feedback from a different point of view, or confirm the feedback of the original friend(s). The more the merrier!

Additionally, if several people comment on a track, having a thread in the Beta Area would be useful to start a discussion where several people can be involved, rather than doing everything one-on-one via PM.

A second positive aspect is the potential gain of an extra award or two. By uploading to the Beta Area first, more people are likely to play your track since the track is “new” twice, and thus award it once it’s actually released for real. If no one else, at least those who gave sincere feedback and whom you have talked to and discussed with during the building process are likely to leave an award in the end (unless they really don’t like the track, of course).

And thirdly, I really like the design of the Beta Area page – quick and easy access to everything, from uploading and downloading beta tracks to the forum threads in which to discuss the tracks, all in one convenient place.

On the downside, there doesn’t seem to be a lot of people commenting Beta Tracks. Odds appear to be good that you’ll get a comment at all, but getting it from several people might not be as usual. But then again, one person might be enough in most cases.

Last but not least, I’ve been trying to look a bit into why some tracks in the Beta Area haven’t received any feedback at all. I can’t really find a single common factor, but two things have come to my mind: those who have received no feedback at all have either uploaded several beta tracks or are fairly new to the website. In the first case, I guess people are put off by one person having several tracks. For the second case, I believe that if a track is too bad – a newbie track of the kind we’ve all built once upon a time – people won’t, for some reason, bother to leave a comment even if they’ve tried the track.

In any case, the Beta Area has some nice benefits, and any serious author should use it to make any new track as good as it gets. I’d love to see more people there as it allows us to collectively make our tracks better yet Cool

Categories: TMX Tags:
Blog Post
Screenshot Collection (June 11th, 09)11. June 2009 21:35
Posted By: View User Profile Jozii Permalink | Comments (3)

We’ll continue to display some nice screenshots for you to enjoy :)

TB - Blue Reflection WP By Kunkstar7 3 Frizbee - Blury Heart Frizbee - Dark World

TimeBreaker, Kunkstar7, Frizbee.

Have your own screenshot(s) displayed in the blog! Drop us an e-mail: jozii89@gmail.com.